Formatting an SD Card is not that tough as the nontechies make it look like! In today’s article, we will look at how to format an SD Card using different formatters, including Nintendo formatter, Panasonic formatter, FAT32 formatter, etc. For your convenience, we have divided the article into different sections. Based on what you are looking for, you may directly head to that section.
Also, before you head out to learn how to format an SD card, don’t forget first to check out the guide on how to fix your corrupted SD cards.
Many a times your SD Card may be corrupted, and you may directly think of formatting it, leading to the loss of all precious data. First, see if the card can be fixed, if not, then continue reading to learn how to format it.
How To Format An SD Card Using Nintendo Formatter:
This section will take a look at the steps for formatting an SD Card using the Nintendo Switch. Before you start to use the micro SD card, you must format it correctly. Also, don’t forget to take the vital stuff backup as once the card is formatted, all the data would be gone, and you won’t even be able to use it with any other device. Let’s see the steps now:
- Take the microSD card and place it into the appropriate slot of your Nintendo Switch.
- Turn on the Nintendo Switch.
- Head to the Settings option right through the home screen.
- Once the Settings Menu is up and running, look for the System option at the very bottom. Click on it!
- Again, head to the bottom of the menu, and click on Formatting Options.
- Now, just hit on Format microSD Card.
- Lastly, select Continue to confirm the action.
How To Format An SD Card Using Linux Formatter:
For almost all of the Linux systems out there, you will find Disks Utility as the default disk management tool. In case your system doesn’t have it, then you can install it. There are different ways out there to format an SD card in Linux. However, the Disks Utility is one of the most common and easiest ways of achieving the outcome. Let’s check out the steps for formatting an SD Card using Disks Utility:
- Insert the SD card into the appropriate slot of your PC. You may open the file manager and confirm if the drive is in working condition or not.
- Head to the Applications Menu and open Disks Utility.
- From the available lists of disks, select your SD Card drive that you would like to format.
- Choose the Settings option (gears icon). After that, click on the Format option.
- A new window would now pop up where you will have to enter some information, including Volume name, file system, size, etc. It’s recommended that you wipe off all the data and create one partition only.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions, and confirm to initiate the action.
- That’s it! Now, the formatting should take some while depending upon certain factors. Once the format process is completed, the SD card would start to show up in the files manager again.
How To Format An SD Card Using Fat32 Formatter:
The third-party FAT32 Formatter tool makes it possible to format large-size SD Cards to FAT32. You can directly download the software on your computer, or if you want to try it out on the mobile, you may download its app. Let’s see what the steps are to format the SD card.
- Download the tool by clicking here!
- Once the tool is downloaded and opened, input the required details, including drive, volume label, tick Quick Format, and hit on Start to begin with the process.
- It will ask you for final confirmation! Hit on OK, to begin with, the process.
- That’s it! Your SD Card should have been formatted now.
How To Format An SD Card Using SanDisk Formatter:
The SanDisk SD Cards come preformatted. However, if you still wish to reformat it so that everything is cleared off from it, then make sure you read it till the very end. To format a SanDisk SD Card, all you need is a computer that supports an external or internal card reader. No need for any other tool! A computer is more than enough! Let’s go and follow the steps:
- Insert your SanDisk SD Card into the right slot, depending upon your reader, whether internal or external.
- Head to Start, right-click and click Open Windows Explorer.
- On the very left, look for your card and right-click on it.
- Choose Format from the available list of options. Once the format window opens up, select the appropriate options.
- Begin the formatting process.
Out of all the above techniques, which is the most appropriate way to format an SD card?
Ans: We have listed out most of the different ways through which you can format your SD Card. You are free to try out any method, as the steps for each technique is easy to follow and all of them leads to the same outcome only.
Do I have to pay for any SD card format tool?
Ans: No, not at all! All of the above listed tools are free to download and use. Formatting an SD Card is a very easy and simple task for which there’s no need to pay even a single penny. If you find anybody asking you to pay for getting your SD Card formatted, then make sure you leave that deal at the earliest.
Is SD Card formatting necessary?
Ans: These days, most of the new and unused SD cards come preformatted straight out of the box. However, if you are looking to reformat your card on certain parameters, then this is where this guide will prove to be helpful.
We hope you would have now learned how to format an SD card using various tools or methods out there. If you still have any doubts concerning the processes, then comment below or contact us directly. Lastly, don’t forget to share the article with your friends who would be interested in knowing the different ways of achieving the same result (formatting an SD Card).